Online committee meeting for Illinois Section AWWA Education
Conference call with screen sharing
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:00am via Adobe Connect
Adobe Connect Link to join meeting: http://isawwa.adobeconnect.com/education/
Conference Number(s): 605-562-3000
Participant Code: 553113#
Education Committee - Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 16, 2013 - 11:00am
- Operator Day - (Jeff Freeman - David Trais)
- Theme ideas - "This Old House"
- 8:00 - 9:00 - Meet the IEPA Staff
- 9:00 - 10:00am - break
- 10:00 - 11:00am - Freeport (Geza)
- ACTION: Lisa check on the status with Geza
- 11:00- 12:00pm - Village of Montgomery (confirmed)
- 12:00 - 1:00pm - lunch
- 1:00 - 2:00pm - Elgin Air Light
- ACTION: Jeff check on the status from Elgin
- 2:00 - 3:00pm - Princeton
- ACTION: Lisa check on the status from Geza
- 3:00 - 3:30pm - break
- 3:30 - 4:30pm = (need to fill this with plant central or southern - Dennis Ross from Otter Lake Water Commission?)
- ACTION: Jeff to Check with Dennis Ross
- Booth - (Terry McGhee and Elisa Bonkowski)
- No report from Terry or Elisa - add to next meeting agenda
- Jeff F. indicated that Terry is coming up with new questions.
- Last year there was a comment that Education committee and Water Efficiency committee both had trivia games and that a few questions over lapped, and each committee had a different right answer. Suggestion was to review each other's questions ahead of time
- Lisa report that Sandi is working on getting a touch screen monitor for Jeopardy
- Hall Pass Program - (Bill Balluff)
- Bill and Jeff F. talked about the idea of offering designated time slots for approx. 15 minute education sessions in the exhibit hall at 6-8 vendor booths which would award contact hours. Attendees would sign up ahead of time for the hall pass program.
- Committee thought it would be nice to promote this idea to the vendors with an advertisement/flyer and then have an abstraction form to submit papers. Larry Thomas from the MAC will also work on this Hall Pass program.
- Bill suggested having a volunteer monitor/guide to facilitate the transit to the next booth and also keep track of attendance for reporting purposes.
- ACTION: Jeff Freeman, Bill Balluff, Larry Thomas, Sandi, Laurie & Lisa. Meet with the MAC next month in St. Charles - Tuesday, October 15 at TBD time.
- Annual Regulatory Update - (Tom Hinde, Jeff Freeman & Lisa Hoffhines)
- Webinars - (Dave Lynde)
- Marianne has worked up a summary of tips and suggestions to presenters to make their presentations more interactive - suggestions included polls, taking questions in the middle of a webinar, adding audio/pictures etc..
- Volunteer to monitor upcoming webinars http://doodle.com/4krfrnre59kaec7t
- Meter Symposium
- Date & Location for 2014 - (Lisa Hoffhines)
- Lisa suggested Thursday, August 7, 2014 in Countryside.
- Jeff suggested that the committee come up with a theme for the event so that we avoid redundant topics
- Survey Report (Elisa)
- Elisa was not on the call to report - add to next meeting agenda
- Lisa gave an update to the committee that ISAWWA staff had a recent conference call with Elisa to brainstorm on new ideas to incentivize seminar attendees to fill out the electronic survey they receive via email after a seminar. Right now less than 10% fill out the electronic survey.
- Decided to test for a few months:
- Shortening up the survey email
- Turning off the mandatory log in and instead letting people fill out the survey anonymously
- Indicate in the email body they will receive a special promo code for $5 off seminar registration for a future event (will have an expiration date)
- Advisory Board Meeting updates - (Dennis Ross, Cindy Munger, Jeff Freeman & Lisa Hoffhines)
- IEPA has a web application for operators to log into and import all of their training. This is relatively new and is having some technical difficulties so they are working to fix the glitches.
- Provided renewal statistics - we are in the middle of an aging workforce
- Potential changes to rules describing the evaluation of character for a certified water operator
- New operator exams being issued as early as this fall
- Underground Contractors - (Chris Drey) - Chris was not on call. Add to next meeting agenda. Potentially partner on upcoming training.
- Updates on Projects:
- Seminar in a box templates (Kyla Jacobsen) -
- Kyla was not on the call to report
- ACTION: Lisa to follow up with Kyla for updates
- Leadership Training (Kyla Jacobsen and Wayne Pratt) -
- Kyla was not on call to report. Add to next meeting agenda
- Wayne agreed to help with this effort and would like to teach another manage for success class in January.
- ACTION: Lisa work with Wayne to schedule class again in January.
- ACTION: Lisa work with sub group to schedule a conference call
- Master Schedule of mini-conferences determined (Lisa Hoffhines
- April 22, 2014 - Water Distribution Conference
- June - T-CON
- July 10-11, 2014 - Elgin Visitation Day
- August 7 - Meter Symposium
- September 4-5, 2014 - Otter Lake
- October - Annual Regulatory Update
- ACTION: Lisa to check on the IML, WEF Tech dates etc. make sure no conflicts
- What are other states doing for training?
- New England - (David Trais)
- They include a schedule of events broken down seminars and conferences
- Ads on the site to offset some costs -
- ACTION: Lisa find out more info as to why we do or don't or have we ever considered this?
- Seem to offer more hands on training - ex: hands on hydrant & main maintenance, OSHA
- They don't seem to offer webinars
- Link examples provided by David:
- British Columbia - (Cindy Munger) - not on call. Add to next meeting agenda
- North Carolina - (Tom Hinde) -
- Looked into rural water and wef. Will have more to report on North Carolin AWWA next meeting and summarize what types of programs they are offer.
- Florida - (Ed Rice) - not on call. Add to next meeting agenda
- Pacific Northwest - (Chris Drey) - not on call. Add to next meeting agenda
- Any colleges that offer online courses for water/wastewater (Geza) - not on call. Add to next meeting agenda
- New Business
- District Representation for seminars - districts 1 through 5
- We have a lot of training and a a lot ends up in northeastern Illinois, which is where a good amount of our membership is at. The committee wants to look at ways of improving training and one way is to have a committee member designated as a "liason" or "champion" from each district. This person would work with the ISAWWA District Trustee to brainstorm on training in their district -
- Elizabeth Doellman said Illinois American Water in Champaign (District 5) is always happy to host training. Also will be hiring someone new n Peoria and will host training in District 3 too.
- See District Map and upcoming training by district: http://www.isawwa.org/?page=district_map
- Next Meeting: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:00am. Adobe Connect link will be sent out later.
Illinois Section American Water Works Association
545 S. Randall Road
St. Charles, IL 60174
If you wish to stop receiving email from us, you can simply remove yourself by visiting: @@unsubscribe_url@@