Conference call - Phone: 530-881-1212 Meeting: 868-782-442
July 15th - 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
June 17th, 2015 Minutes
On the phone
Not on the call
WATERCON 2016 - Student Program.
Monday - Starting on the Monday is good since that is the first day of Spring break. We may draw more students.
10 - noon - Career Education / Mini YP Summit.
Career type advice
Leadership and management
How to talk to stake holders and elected officials
Lunch - for poster presenters and scholarship winners - noon to 1pm
1:00 -1:30 - set up for the poster competition
1:30 -3:30 - poster session and judging
2:00 pm - exhibit hall opens
4:00 - 5:00 pm - YP Student reception
They are working on events whereby we can have more of presence on some of the events on campus.
We are looking for other schools to start a chapter on the campus.
We need to coordinate with the membership committee and others to come up with a plan of other schools to target a chapter, to create contacts and gauge interests, etc.
Brianna will work on developing a list of schools in Illinois and potential contacts for student chapters (professors, department heads, existing student groups, etc). We will share the information with the membership committee.
These would serve as potential targets for a student activities / chapters.
High School Operator In Training
Laurie shared the information on the operator in training program proposed by a member in Oak Park for high school students. What can utilities do to make it more realistic to have interns? We need to have some helpful ideas and tips for the utilities.
Andrew Dow expressed interest in creating a panel discussion on internships for WATERCON 2016. Kristin will follow up with him to see if he can work with a few interested utilities to prepare an abstract.
Kyla and Greg Swanson will participate in the panel discussion on internships
On going projects and champions
WATERCON panel for internships - Andrew Dow
Ask Andrew to report at the next meeting
Operator Scholarship -Michelle and Kyla Jacobsen
To report at the next meeting on the guidelines
Angela - Clarify what qualifies for hands- on credit from IEPA
Next Meeting - July 15th 2pm
To Do - May Meeting
- Kyla to work with Angela and Jeff Freeman to see what needs to be added to the website and what communications need to be sent out .
- Lara to send Laurie information on what she would like posted on the LinkedIn page to recruit volunteers.
- Andrew Dow to get with Kristin to see where we are in the survey form and get some additional information out to the members and research.
- How do we communicate the networking that takes place at WATERCON for students that will encourage them to attend.
To Do - April Meeting
- Kristin - Ask Michelle if she can take on the roll of approving the operator scholarship applications
- Kristin - Submit a paper on internships at utilities for WATERCON 2016
- Kristin - develop a 3 question survey on the internships and also ask APWA what response they have had from their survey as well as the YP connections at other Sections and maybe offer a no water no beer t-shirt.