Outreach committee conference call meeting - phone: 530-881-1212 meeting 868-782-442
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Minutes of meeting
On the call
Recap of the document - Andrew wrote a draft abstract of the document. A summary of the document - it highlights how cost effective internships can be. As opposed to hiring staff and highlights the strengths of the students. The abstract is directed at selling the benefits. We can expand on the value to the students and that would be great points to expand on and get some additional questions at the end.
Segments of the program
Where to find interns -
How to manage interns -
Intern experience -
Manager of an intern experience -
Benefits of an internship to the utility
Benefits of an internship to the intern
Samples of items that interns have worked on at other utilities
Panel discussion - wrap up
Notes - Include internships in a union environment,
Next steps - Abstracts
Andrew to review the notes from the call and make changes to the abstract submission. The long version is okay. Also write a short abstract - that will go into the program.
What would you change on this document?
- Add description and benefits of unpaid internships
- Add a little more on the need to get more young people directly involved at utilities now, so we have people ready to fill positions as retirements increase in the next 5 years.
- Shorter if we can manage it without taking away from the document. People tend to stop reading after the first paragraph and skim the rest.
- stress a bit more the need to have a designated intern manager to direct the work.
- I would expand on the ease of starting an internship program for utilities of various sizes, I think that starting an internship program in a smaller utility would be more daunting
- I would add to question 2 what characteristics should utilities look for in a potential intern applicant, and add to question 5 differences between public and private suppliers
- I suggest the panel discuss challenges related to making the process beneficial to the intern and how to work through that.
- I agree with Lara as well regarding stress the need to have a designated person to manage the intern/intern program
- add stats of the retirement data to the document
- have a more detailed document to give out to the attendees and also put on the website and possibly a mailed document
- Consider condensing this into a 1-page fact sheet/mailer for mass distribution
could that be a separate session? how to manage?
- Panel should share tips and lessons learned / nuts & bolts of a successful internship program
- Also WHERE to find interns
- have someone who has worked at a utility as an intern be on the panel
- Suggest specific projects that interns could or have worked on so utilities have a pratctival idea of how they can implement internships in their utility
- break the sessions down two segments -
- consider a webcast series of recordings - intern resources
- would suggest that it be kept to an hour leaving them wanting more
- Suggest 1-hour presentation + panel discussion in the Management track.
- be sure we address internships in a union work environment
- Review the revised abstract
- See what the ongoing program may be for using this information and other information that we may want to use it for.
- Create some multi-media advertising to create a youtube 60 second video and they will be used for advertising the session.
Topic - Managing work that the section does with college level students - such as the student chapter. Most student chapters are aligned under the young professionals committee. Outreach focuses outside the association such as schools, etc. The YP would be the long term manager or overseeing of the student chapter.
We can focus on plant tours, community outreach, etc.
Laurie - set up a conference call with Kyle, Jamie, Laurie, Kristin and Brianna
Next meeting August 19, 2015 - 2pm
screen sharing http://isawwa.adobeconnect.com/outreach
To Do - May Meeting
- Kyla to work with Angela and Jeff Freeman to see what needs to be added to the website and what communications need to be sent out .
- Lara to send Laurie information on what she would like posted on the LinkedIn page to recruit volunteers.
- Andrew Dow to get with Kristin to see where we are in the survey form and get some additional information out to the members and research.
- How do we communicate the networking that takes place at WATERCON for students that will encourage them to attend.
To Do - April Meeting
- Kristin - Ask Michelle if she can take on the roll of approving the operator scholarship applications
- Kristin - Submit a paper on internships at utilities for WATERCON 2016
- Kristin - develop a 3 question survey on the internships and also ask APWA what response they have had from their survey as well as the YP connections at other Sections and maybe offer a no water no beer t-shirt.