- Career Center
|WATERCON 2015 - Student and Young Professionals|
WATERCON has many educational, networking, and social opportunities just for students. See below for a list of events, how to register, and how to apply for financial assistance to attend the conference.
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Poster Competition, 9:00 am – 11:00 am
From cutting edge research to innovative design projects, this event showcases the efforts of new members of the water industry. It’s also an opportunity for students and young professionals to gain presentation experience. The competition will include drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater topics. Top prize for drinking water posters is a trip to AWWA’s national conference in Anaheim to compete against winners from other Sections. Entry forms are due by February 17, 2015. Sign up here.
· Career Connections, 1:00 pm– 3:00 pm
This event, open to all conference attendees, brings together many career resources in one room. Stop by to learn strategies to get a job from leading water industry experts:
Differentiate your resume to get in the door
Take a break from the organized activities and use the time to sit in on the technical education sessions or learn more about water treatment and distribution equipment in the exhibit hall.
· Student & Young Professionals Reception, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Mingle with fellow students and meet young professionals who can relate valuable experience with job hunting, applying for grad school, and getting more involved in the water industry. The reception features a networking challenge to introduce newcomers to some of the water industry leaders in Illinois and compete for a prize. You just might make a connection that will lead you to your first job, give insight on future career options, or simply make a few new friends.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
· Breakfast with the Boss & Diversity Forum - YP and Student Breakfast, 8:00 – 9:30 am
What makes a leader? It takes a combination of many skills and strengths learned throughout the course of a career. While you eat, experienced water industry members will share the stores of their humble career beginnings and how they rose to the top of their professions. Following breakfast, ISAWWA will host a diversity forum in the same room. This event focuses on how ISAWWA can better contribute to increased diversity, to build a stronger and more productive water industry. Students and young professionals will be asked to contribute their thoughts on all aspects of diversity – from obvious differences such as age, race, and gender, to subtle differences such as education level, personal beliefs, and work skills.
· Mission IMPOSSIBLE 10:00 – 11:00 am
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, will be to unravel a complex water utility challenge. Test your problem solving and planning skills, apply your technical knowledge and common sense, and brainstorm with other members of the water industry. This event brings together people of all ages and from all sectors of the water industry to work together in teams, and is an excellent learning experience for students and others who are new to the water industry.
Financial assistance to attend the conference is limited to the first 12 students who apply, and is intended to help students who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend the conference. If you are receiving sponsorship from your school or other sources to attend the conference, please refrain from applying for financial assistance so it is available for those most in need.
· Must be enrolled in an accredited college, university, operator training program, or other water-related technical training program as a full-time student.
· Must be an ISAWWA student member. Click here for more information about becoming a member.
Conference Registration and Meals
· ISAWWA will waive the registration fee for students who agree to volunteer on a one-for-one basis. For example, a participating student attending WATERCON for two days would perform volunteer work for one day and freely attend sessions and activities of their choosing for one day. An alternative is to volunteer for half the day and freely attend activities of your choosing for the other half of the day, for each day of attendance at the conference.
· ISAWWA will attempt to adjust the scheduling of volunteer work assignments to allow participating students to attend technical sessions and activities that are of special interest to them.
· ISAWWA will also endeavor to provide each participating student with an event mentor to help them make the most of their experience at WATERCON.
· Volunteer work assignments will be based upon the event needs and the abilities of each participating student. Some examples include helping to set up rooms for technical sessions, providing assistance with computer and A/V equipment used by presenters, or helping at the registration desk.
· Participating students will receive meal tickets for the day(s) of their attendance.
· Participating students must report to ISAWWA staff at the registration desk when they arrive to receive their volunteer assignments.
· ISAWWA will, to the extent possible, provide hotel rooms for participating students who attend WATERCON for more than one day.
· Hotel rooms will be up to triple occupancy on a same sex basis.
· Students must provide the hotel with a credit card to allow recovery of any additional costs beyond the basic use of the hotel room (room service, phone calls, movies, damages, etc).
· ISAWWA will make every attempt to honor requests for specific roommate assignments, but cannot guarantee this.
· If plans change and you cannot attend, you must cancel the hotel reservation more than 7 calendar days prior to the conference, or be subject to a $25.00 room cancellation fee.
How To Register
If you are requesting Financial Assistance, please make sure that you meet the qualifications above and place "Financial Assistance Requested" in the comments box when registering. Choose the "Invoice" option, and complete the registration. Someone from the ISAWWA office will contact you to let you know if you have been chosen to receive Financial Assistance. If you are willing to volunteer and receive equal time, please register as above and complete the Volunteer Form.
To register to attend the conference, CLICK HERE.
If you have any questions, please call the Section Office - at 866-521-3595 x3
10/04/16 Backflow Committee Meeting
10/7/2016 » 10/10/2016
Water Trailer - Fall Festival-Oktoberfest