- Career Center
|WATERCON 2014 - Student and Young Professionals|
WATERCON has many educational, networking, and social opportunities just for students. See below for a list of events, how to register, and how to apply for financial assistance to attend the conference.
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Poster Competition, 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Present your research or a class project related to water or wastewater. This is a great way to gain presentation experience and get feedback on your work from water industry professionals. Top prize for water posters is a trip to AWWA’s national conference in Boston in June 2014. Cash prizes also available for water and wastewater posters. Poster presenters receive free registration for the day. Entry forms due by February 17, 2015. Sign up here.
· Scavenger Hunt, 2:30 – 3:30 pm
Solve a water-related engineering problem by visiting several of the booths in the conference exhibit hall. You’ll work in teams with other students and YPs to learn more about the equipment and treatment processes used every day in engineered water systems. Prizes to be awarded!
· On Your Own, 3:30 – 4:00 pm
Take a break from the organized activities and use the time to sit in on the technical education sessions or learn more about water treatment and distribution equipment in the exhibit hall.
· Student & Young Professionals Reception, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Meet other students and learn from young professionals who can relate valuable experience on job hunting, applying for grad school, and getting more involved in the water industry. The reception features a networking challenge to introduce you to some of the water industry leaders in Illinois and compete for a prize.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015Develop Your Own Personal Strategy - YP and Student Breakfast, 8:00 – 9:00 am
Fuel up for the day and spend some more time getting to know students and young professionals you met at the activities the day before. Participate in workshop to help you develop your own personal life strategy.
Mission IMPOSSIBLE 10:00 - 11:00 am
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, will be to unravel a complex water utility challenge. Test your problem solving and planning skills, apply your technical knowledge and common sense, and brainstorm with other members of the water industry. This event brings together people of all ages and from all sectors of the water industry to work together in teams, and is an excellent learning experience for students and others who are new to the water industry.
Career Connections 1:00 pmm – 3:00 pm
This event brings many career resources together in one room. Drop in to have your resume reviewed, get tips on making a good impression on interviews, find out what water utilities and consulting firms are looking for in new hires, or browse the list of available internship and apprenticeship opportunities.Financial Assistance
Financial assistance to attend the conference is limited to the first 12 students who apply, and is intended to help students who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend the conference. If you are receiving sponsorship from your school or other sources to attend the conference, please refrain from applying for financial assistance so it is available for those most in need.
· Must be enrolled in an accredited college, university, operator training program, or other water-related technical training program as a full-time student.
· Must be an ISAWWA student member. Click here for more information about becoming a member.
Conference Registration and Meals
· ISAWWA will waive the registration fee for students who agree to volunteer on a one-for-one basis. For example, a participating student attending WATERCON for two days would perform volunteer work for one day and freely attend sessions and activities of their choosing for one day. An alternative is to volunteer for half the day and freely attend activities of your choosing for the other half of the day, for each day of attendance at the conference.
· ISAWWA will attempt to adjust the scheduling of volunteer work assignments to allow participating students to attend technical sessions and activities that are of special interest to them.
· ISAWWA will also endeavor to provide each participating student with an event mentor to help them make the most of their experience at WATERCON.
· Volunteer work assignments will be based upon the event needs and the abilities of each participating student. Some examples include helping to set up rooms for technical sessions, providing assistance with computer and A/V equipment used by presenters, or helping at the registration desk.
· Participating students will receive meal tickets for the day(s) of their attendance.
· Participating students must report to ISAWWA staff at the registration desk when they arrive to receive their volunteer assignments.
· ISAWWA will, to the extent possible, provide hotel rooms for participating students who attend WATERCON for more than one day.
· Hotel rooms will be up to triple occupancy on a same sex basis.
· Students must provide the hotel with a credit card to allow recovery of any additional costs beyond the basic use of the hotel room (room service, phone calls, movies, damages, etc).
· ISAWWA will make every attempt to honor requests for specific roommate assignments, but cannot guarantee this.
· If plans change and you cannot attend, you must cancel the hotel reservation more than 7 calendar days prior to the conference, or be subject to a $25.00 room cancellation fee.
How To Register
If you are requesting Financial Assistance, please make sure that you meet the qualifications above and place "Financial Assistance Requested" in the comments box when registering. Choose the "Invoice" option, and complete the registration. Someone from the ISAWWA office will contact you to let you know if you have been chosen to receive Financial Assistance. If you are willing to volunteer and receive equal time, please register as above and complete the Volunteer Form.
If you have any questions, please call the Section Office - at 866-521-3595 x3
11 hours agoSource Water Awards Nominations Being Accepted
10/23/2016Career Center Upgrade
10/18/2016New Jobs Posted This Month
10/25/2016 » 10/27/2016
Illinois Water Resource Center - Illinois Water Conference
Operator Training Materials
Water Efficiency Committee Meeting
Goose Island Brewery Pub Tour